Literacy Volunteers of Rochester, Inc. (LVR) is a community leader in the cause of literacy. With a small staff and a large pool of trained volunteers, we assist adults in improving their reading, English language, math and digital literacy. We advocate for the ability of all people to attain these skills so they can fully participate in their community as citizens, parents, consumers and workers.
Our programs and services include
- One-to-One Tutoring: Reading, English for Speakers of Other languages (ESOL), math and more!
- Small Group Instruction: Skill Building classes reinforce basic math and reading skills for adult students entering the LVR Tutoring Program. Access classes provide reading and math instruction to help adults become eligible for high school equivalency and vocational training programs.
- Digital Literacy: Provides free computer support and computer-related assistance. Learn basic computer skills, how to use Microsoft or Google products, and resolve immediate challenges. Get assistance creating or updating your resume, applying for jobs or benefits online and addressing other computer-based needs. Click for Digital Literacy schedule. Check out the latest report on our achievements.
- Family Literacy: Workshops for parents and their children (ages 3 to 7 years). This program provide low-literate parents with the tools to support their children’s education, and activities to promote parent/child learning.
- Training: Professional training and ongoing support for our tutors, digital navigators and other volunteers.
Program Partners (2015-2016)
- Greece Central School District, Greece Community Education
- Finger Lakes Regional Adult Education Network (RAEN)
- Monroe 1 BOCES
- Monroe 2 – Orleans BOCES
- Monroe County Library System
- Rochester City School District, OACES
- Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Rochester Public Libraries
- Rush-Henrietta Continuing Education
- Veterans Outreach Center
- A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (donations are tax deductible)
- Founded in 1964 as “Each One Teach One” and incorporated in 1971
- Our services are provided free-of-charge
- A member of ProLiteracy Worldwide
Location and Hours
1600 South Avenue, Suite 100
Rochester NY 14620-3921
- Monday to Friday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- 3rd Saturday of month: 9:00 am – noon (except July and August)
- Digital Literacy schedule