Tutor Workshop 3/2 & 4/27 at 9:00 am
March 2 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm EST
Literacy Rochester Tutors are trained to teach reading skills to adults who read below a 9th grade level, and conversational English to non-English speaking adults. Knowledge of a foreign language or teaching experience is not needed.
The workshop format includes 2 class sessions 3 hours each, online work (self-directed), and 3 practicum assignments. The class sessions and practicum assignments will be completed here at Literacy Rochester.
- Tutors must attend both class sessions and complete all online and practicum assignments before being matched with a student.
- The required class sessions are on Saturday 3/2 and 4/27 from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon.
- Attendance at an Onboarding session is required before you can begin the Tutor Workshop.
- In the 3 practicum assignments you will observe tutors working with students in our drop-in program and in our English language conversation groups. You will also be given an assignment which will need to be completed in our library. Times and dates for these will be flexible with daytime and evening choices available.
- Online work requires regular access to a computer (average time for on-line work is 8-12 hours). Online assignments are self-directed and are accessed, monitored, and graded through Moodle.
- Workshop fee is $40 which covers all materials.