LOOKING TO GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY?
Join us for our next orientation where we’ll cover in detail why we created the Digital Literacy program, who it serves, what you do as a computer helper, and how you impact lives.
Dates: (first Tuesday of the month, except holidays)
You must be at least 18 years old and possess the following qualifications:
- At least three (3) years of experience working with a computer
- Knowledge of Google apps (e.g., Google Docs)
- Proficient at navigating the internet
- An ability to work at community sites with diverse people
- Patience and flexibility
- An unrestricted mobile phone and an active email account
To become a volunteer, you must attend an orientation, which lasts approximately 90 minutes.
After that, we ask for two commitments:
- Stay with the program for at least six (6) months
- Volunteer weekly or bi-weekly for a three (3) hour shift
We work with you to find a day and time that fits into your schedule.
Our volunteers work with individuals as needed on a drop-in basis.
Requests for help may be as straightforward as someone asking how to use a search engine or they may be more complex like writing a resume or applying for benefits.
Interactions may range from just a few seconds to upwards of 30 minutes. This means that over a three-hour session you might work one-to-one with 4 – 6 customers.
Volunteers receive onsite training in addition to the information presented at orientation.
- You have the option of signing up for a shadow shift prior to your first shift. At a shadow shift, you observe and engage with another volunteer in action.
- A program staff member accompanies you on your first shift to acquaint you with the location, walk you through live customer interactions, and address any questions.
You will have access to program staff whenever you are working on a shift.
In addition, all volunteers are invited to attend quarterly in-service meetings to receive program updates, provide feedback, and confer with other volunteers.
Everyone takes a vacation. We ask that you tell us as soon as your vacation is scheduled so that we can find a sub or coordinate with our partners.
As for emergencies, we ask that you immediately text or call program staff. Our relationship with site managers is critical and we want them to know of any changes as quickly as we can.